Skip to main content

IV Therapy

Quantum Functional Medicine

Juergen Winkler, MD, ABIHM, ABOIM

Integrative Functional Medical Clinic located in Carlsbad, CA

Intravenous (IV) therapy offers complete absorption, fast onset, and excellent results. At Quantum Functional Medicine, integrative health specialist Juergen Winkler, MD, provides an extensive range of IV therapy options, including ozone therapy, Myers cocktails, targeted low dose chemotherapy, and many others. Call the Carlsbad, California, office to learn more about the available IV therapy options, or book an appointment online to set up your infusion today.

IV Therapy Q&A

What is IV therapy?

IV therapy is a treatment where you receive vitamins, nutrients, medications, ozone, and other substances through a vein in your arm. There are several advantages to this form of delivery compared to oral delivery (supplements or pills). 


IV therapy maximizes absorption. With oral delivery, your gastrointestinal tract breaks supplements and medications down before releasing them into your bloodstream. The average absorption rate of an oral vitamin is just 10%, but you get the other 90% with IV therapy. 

Onset time

Because IV infusions go straight to your bloodstream, they start working immediately. This means you can feel the beneficial effects of some treatments from the very first procedure. 

IV infusions offer a quick way to revitalize if you’re trying to recover from illness, lose weight, improve your endurance, ramp up your vitality, rehydrate, or boost your general health and wellness. 

Dr. Winkler reviews your functional blood chemistry analysis — a highly detailed blood test that evaluates your bodily systems from head to toe — to determine which IV therapy options can help you meet your goals.

What are the different IV therapy options?

Quantum Functional Medicine offers a full menu of IV therapy treatments, including:

  • Custom vitamin and mineral infusions
  • Ozone therapy - increases blood oxygen
  • Chelation - removes heavy metals
  • Detoxification - removes all toxins
  • High dose vitamin C
  • Myers cocktail - vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, and B vitamins
  • PK protocol - phosphatidylcholine, sodium phenylbutyrate, and injections

In addition to improving general wellness through vitamins and nutrients, IV therapy can be an essential part of an integrative oncology treatment program. 

In studies, the Forsythe Immune Protocol, including targeted low dose chemotherapy, a wide range of vitamins and minerals, and Poly MVA, resulted in 16 times higher survival rates in Stage 4 cancer patients than the previously established survival rates in the Clinical Journal of Oncology. 

Quantum Functional Medicine also offers photodynamic therapy, an innovative treatment in which photosensitizing medication and light energy work together to treat many different chronic illnesses and diseases. Delivery methods include topically, intravenous delivery with IV therapy, or through injection. 

The medication activates with laser light. At Quantum Functional Medicine, Dr. Winkler uses the state-of-the-art Weber laser. This laser is a “soft” laser, which means that it doesn’t directly destroy cells or tissue but instead helps your body to do so. 

This photosensitizing medication is toxic to unhealthy tissue like cancer cells and other tumors but won't harm healthy tissue.  

What can I expect during IV therapy?

Your provider slides a needle carefully into a vein. Typically, the infusion site is a large vein in your elbow or the back of your hand. They tape it in place lightly, and the infusion starts trickling into your vein. 

A standard IV infusion session can last as little as 20 minutes or as long as a couple of hours, depending on the ingredients and your needs.

During your IV therapy, you can take a nap, read a book, or use your phone. It's a comfortable process and requires no downtime. 

Schedule your IV therapy session by calling Quantum Functional Medicine or scheduling an appointment online today.

Medical Disclaimer

Any and all information found within our Website is for general educational and informational purposes only. This information is not intended, nor otherwise implied to be medical advice. Medical advice can only be offered to an established patient. To become an established patient, you must be seen in a face to face consult in which a medical assessment and examination can be done and a medical treatment plan discussed.

The information found on this website is by no means complete or exhaustive and as such, does not encompass all conditions, disorders, health-related issues, or respective treatments. You should always consult a physician or other healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of this information for your own situation.